Swansea University Computer Society
SUCS is one of the university's longest-running and largest societies. In addition to providing members with a range of IT services, we hold regular events and socials throughout the year.
We have our own computer room on campus with 24 hour swipe-card access. There are usually members present through the week so feel free to stop by.
SUCS celebrated its twenty-fifth birthday in the summer of 2014. We have compiled a site about the society's history. To read about it and contribute your part of the story, visit http://history.sucs.org/.
It's that time of year again where the sun isn't out, the birds aren't singing, and it's very wet. What am I talking about? I hear you cry, Elections!
Interested in helping shape Swansea University's Society of the Year? Good then keep on reading! :)
If you have been a student member from at least the 1st of November and are expecting to still be a student in September of 2015 then you can run!
Nominations for positions on the executive committee, which lasts a whole calendar year, will be open on the 15th of November at 00:00, that's this Saturday, and will end on the 28th of November at 23:59. The standard rules apply, to be nominated for a position you must have 2 other student members put your name forward, an email must be sent to email@example.com. Those students must have been members from 2 weeks before nominations open, so the 1st of November in this case.
Here's a list of positions and what you can expect to be doing:
NONE OF THESE POSITIONS ARE TECHNICAL ROLES. NO EXPERIENCE WITH COMPUTERS REQUIRED.
* Responsible for the overall running of the society.
* A spokesperson for the society, able to promote the society’s interests in outside circles. The main point of contact for liaison with the SU.
* Responsible for calling committee meetings and full society meetings.
* Supporting the other committee members in their roles.
* Joint responsibility (with Treasurer) of authorising all payments.
* Ensure that the aims and objectives are being achieved.
* Responsible for the financial affairs of the society.
* Manage a record of the society’s finances.
* Able to present the finances of the society to the Societies and Services Officer upon request.
* Joint responsibility (with President) of authorising all payments.
* Leading on applications for grant funding (with President).
* Requesting cheques/petty cash/bank transfers from the Finance Office.
* Responsible for the administration of the society.
* Minute-taker for all meetings of the committee and the whole society.
* Responsible for notifying members of Annual General Meetings/Elections.
* Maintain all records of the society.
* Responsible for organising society events
* Working with the president to complete room bookings
* Promoting the society
* Be the societies PR person
Once the nominations have closed the mandatory 2 day break will be enforced. Online voting will begin on 01/12/2014 at 00:00 and will close on 07/12/2014 at 23:59.
Our returning officer is Nicholas Corlett (worldinsideme) so any queries should be directed at him via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. All the election rules can be found in our constitution which is at https://sucs.org/About/Constitution.
Good luck and have fun!Read More