Discussion for Swansea University Computer Society members
You are not logged in.
- First and foremost, we're a community and a fairly small one at that. There isn't really any room for people who plan on being unpleasant to other users for the hell of it. So, no trolling/flaming, spamming, posting links to inappropriate material (including but not limited to pornography, warez, file-sharing sites, sites that attempt to install spyware etc.) or swearing directed at other users.
- Secondly, there's a few things that are more or less basic forum ettiquette:
- Don't post more than one copy of the same thread. If you do by accident, delete one of them. Similarly, don't double post; use the edit button instead. If you post something and regret it later, use the delete button, but don't randomly delete threads you've created for your own enjoyment.
- Don't link directly to images or other files that you don't own (this is bandwidth theft and is usually totally unnecessary. If you want to, simply put a hyperlink in or host it on your SUCS space - assuming it's not protected by copyright, of course).
- Don't necropost (if a thread is older than a few months, you'd probably do better to make a new one).
- Use the Search button to make sure that the link to the latest awesomest thing ever on the internet you're about to post hasn't been mentioned already by someone else, somewhere else.
- If you have questions, feel free to ask them, but check the SUCS FAQ first (you'll likely only get linked to it anyway if what you're looking for appears there).
- Try and avoid overuse of "txt spk" and l337 and use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar whenever you can. If you're a bit rusty on these things, dictionary.com is a remarkably good resource.
- Introductions should mostly be done in General Chat, barring some sort of crazy exception I can't think of.
- Avoid posts that could be done equally easily via an IM client or in Milliways. The forum is for comments of reasonable length, not for members to have conversations.
- Don't bump threads. There's rarely a reason for it. If something has died a natural death, there's usually a reason.
- Keep your signatures of a reasonable length. There's no real reason for more than about 4 lines of text.
- The moderators' decisions on things are final. If you disagree with them, feel free to talk to a different moderator and the two of them will discuss the issues at length before coming to another decision. This guarantees neither a reversal nor an upholding of the previous decision.
- Hopefully you'll not break these rules, but if you do, the mods will edit your post with a friendly reminder of this. Please don't remove these edits. If you break them repeatedly after warnings, we'll have no choice but to ban your account from the forum. If you attempt to persist in coming back, we may have no choice but to revoke your SUCS membership. This is obviously the absolute last resort, and will be used very, very sparingly (hopefully never).
- Not strictly a rule, but if you follow all of these things, we hope that your stay will be pleasant. If you have any questions about them, please ask a moderator.