Forum

SUCS Forum

Discussion for Swansea University Computer Society members

You are not logged in.

#16 2006-09-30 12:07:19

psycodom
Website

Re: Features you want to see in a forum

To keep people happy we definitely need user preferences anyway.  That much is already apparent.  Some people like avatars, some don't.  Some like smilies, others don't etc.  Actually the simple fact people like to keep a sig rahter than typing it in each time implies user prefs are needed anyway.

It would be nice to provide avatars for those that like them and likewise smilies etc.

The additional feature I think should also be there (and yet another reason for user preferences) are the ability to see the conversation threaded rather than flat with the newest post last.  That expands upon the idea of showing who a message is to in the fact that a direct reply to your message would (if you chose) appear underneath yours.  The mw database (as far as I know) already supports this in that it has a field for keeping the number of the message your message is a reply to.

In fact to take that further it might be nice if we could adopt a system like the new /. system where the threads are collapsed and using AJAX you browser is sent the contents of the thread when you click to expand a thread and they can be collapsed again too,  threads in which you are actively participating could be automagically expanded when you view the page. (obviously a more complex system)

Once again purely at the users choice as many seem to prefer the flat system.

As a final option(since we are essentially going from scratch) it would be nice (eventually) if people could use the forum as if it were a mailing list.  New posts could get e-mailed to subscribers and they could submit using the SUCS authenticated SMTP server making 1 accessible place for SUCS members conversation that works the way the users want it to.

PsycoDom

#17 2006-10-04 13:22:35

pwb
Website

Currently bbs messages are stored in a flat text file, and mw finds messages by looking in the text (.t) file in the position given by the datafield field in the header struct (which are in turn stored in binary in .i files); these headers also have a size field that tell it how much to read. Implementing a usable edit function on this structure is probably unfeasible. How about replacing it with SQLite or even postgres?

I'd also like (if I ever get time!) to rewrite the blog system to use smarty, now we know how that works, and set it up to implement the ideas in my blog entry here. I.e., merge the blogs and the forum so they're one and the same, and allow posting (both of entries/new topics and comments/replies) by email. So presumably we'd use whatever mw uses (but not what it uses now) as the database backend.

Freedom is secured not by the fulfilment of one's desires, but by the removal of desire.
— Epictetus

#18 2006-10-26 16:18:18

pwb wrote:

Currently bbs messages are stored in a flat text file, and mw finds messages by looking in the text (.t) file in the position given by the datafield field in the header struct (which are in turn stored in binary in .i files); these headers also have a size field that tell it how much to read. Implementing a usable edit function on this structure is probably unfeasible.

There already is an edit feature in milliways, its not encouraged, but it does work.  if the message hasnt increased in size its written back to the same space in the text file, otherwise its moved to a new location (the end).  Not the most space efficient of methods, but then how often do old messages get edited.

pwb wrote:

How about replacing it with SQLite or even postgres?

this has been suggested a few times as a way of slowly migrating mw3 into a marvin like structure, seeing as work on marvin itself keeps stalling, but nobody has attempted it.

#19 2006-10-31 18:24:40

psycodom wrote:

Actually the simple fact people like to keep a sig rahter than typing it in each time implies user prefs are needed anyway.

I just really noticed the .sig feature that this forum uses, and i think to myself, why the fuck is such a massive waste of space like that allowed.

no really, what the hell is the point in attaching an idential set of several lines of text to the bottom of every message you post?

We know who you are, the posting has your name attached, along with links to your profile, your picture, your website, your email and feck knows how many other things about you.   If you absolutely must repeat the same piece of witty text ad-nauseum why isnt it in your profile data, or at the very least just another item in the side box along with your other details.
as part of the main body all it does is clutter it up

#20 2006-10-31 22:15:43

wedge

Art: I know you hate forums but there are things people expect to see so they know it's a forum. Signatures are one of them. Be glad they aren't gifs and flashing brightly at you and that there are no bouncing anime girls.

Saving the world so you don't have to.

#21 2006-11-01 09:42:52

wedge wrote:

Be glad they aren't gifs and flashing brightly at you and that there are no bouncing anime girls.

Amen to that.

Frosty

----------------------------
http://sucs.org/~frosty/gifs/3D_cube.gif http://sucs.org/~frosty/gifs/Anime_singer.gif http://sucs.org/~frosty/gifs/Dance.gif http://sucs.org/~frosty/gifs/Girl_jumps_2.gif

Last edited by frosty (2006-11-01 09:44:48)

Board footer