123 Any St
Tel.: 07654 321 098
Computer science graduate with a concentration in theory.
Experienced in high and low level programming, from C to Haskell, in
individual projects and small groups. Fluent in German and an excellent
writer with scrupulous attention to detail.
Education and qualifications
||University of Wales, Swansea
||MRes Logic and Computation
||This was a part-taught course with a thesis including a substantial portion of original research. The taught part included:
The research project concerned the theory and
implementation of exact real number computation, a broad-based project
involving aspects of:
- lambda calculus and type theory
- boolean satisfiability problems and solving
- abstract data types and program synthesis
- interactive theorem proving using dependent types (Agda)
During the course I took part in a Marie Curie
fellowship scheme, Mathlogaps (Mathematical Logic and Applications),
including a 5-month visit to LMU Munich and a 5-day workshop at
- real analysis
- domain theory
- category theory
- automata and computability theory
- program extraction
- functional programming in Haskell
||University of Wales, Swansea
||BSc Computer Science (with German) (2.1)
Combined honours scheme, 2⁄3 Computer Science modules, balanced between practice and theory:
and 1⁄3 German/linguistics:
- programming in Delphi, C, Haskell, Prolog and Java
- a group project using Java
- an individual, mostly theoretical project on pure functional memoization with an implementation in Haskell
- program design, data structures, algorithms and complexity
- parsing of formal and natural
languages, including programming exercises using LALR(1) parser
generators (Lex/Yacc) and DCGs (Prolog)
- AI techniques such as heuristics and machine learning
- algebraic specification using the algebraic rewriting language Maude
- logic, computability theory, and theory of programming languages
- operating systems and concurrency
- language tuition including German literature
||University of Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany (year abroad)
||Fairly free-form year, comprising the 3rd
year of my degree course. Lectures and seminars on various subjects in
the medium of German, including
in addition to social engagement with
students from many countries. During this year I greatly improved my
German language skills.
- ancient history
||Havant Sixth Form College
- 3 A levels: German (C), Mathematics (pure/mechanics/statistics) (C), Physics (C)
- 2 AS levels: Computing (B), Philosophy (C)
||Oaklands Catholic Comprehensive, Waterlooville, Hampshire
- 10 GCSEs and 2 short course GCSEs including six As
- Knowledge of a wide range of programming languages including C, Delphi, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Prolog, Lisp, Haskell, Agda
- Experience of Unix (Linux) systems programming and system administration
- Fluent speaker of German and some French
Positions of responsibility
- Treasurer of Swansea University Computer Society (2004).
Other duties unrelated to the position of treasurer included database and server administration.
- Handling petty cash and accounting for all financial transactions (membership fees, sales (CD-Rs etc.), purchases)
- Liaising with the students' union and obtaining funding
- Organising meetings
- Steward at charity horse shows in Denmead, Hampshire.
- Keeping paperwork consistent and up to date on a tight schedule
- Taking late entries (interacting with the public and handling money)
- Directing parking
||Notetaker and mobility support assistant, Swansea University
||Warehouse operative at Amazon, Swansea
||Temporary factory operative at Hi-Tech Mouldings, Waterlooville, Hampshire
||Finishing mass-produced plastic goods e.g. pumps
||Temporary postman at Royal Mail, Waterberry Drive, Waterlooville, Hampshire
||Sorting mail, requiring a speedy attention to detail
||Temporary warehouse operative at DBC Foodservice Ltd., Petersfield, Hampshire
||Order picking — collecting stock from the warehouse according to order sheets
- Languages and linguistics.
- Role-playing games, as both player and GM, which involves leadership skills (mediation, communication, decision making, improvisation).
- Reading, particularly SF, fantasy and historical novels.
- Regular contributor to the free encyclopedia Wikipedia, making mostly copy-editing edits.
- Music. I have a broad taste but especially like blues, classic rock, post-punk and electronica. I have also sung bass in two amateur choirs.
- Casual contributor to open source software projects: reporting bugs and occasionally submitting patches.
Available on request