- £220 still to be spent
- Lots spent on Silver II (~ £600)
- ~£30 will go on the beach party
Plans for the freshers' fayre
- Table has been booked
- Games server will be publicised strongly to attract new members
- Posters listing SUCS services and benefits to be put up
- Welcome pack for new members - Ubuntu/*nix cd, leaflets, info, guides etc
Plans for the beach party
- Get wood. Lots of wood. Reels if possible. People keep an eye out on campus and start stockpiling now.
- Clean up needs planning - volunteers please talk to stringfellow
- June 10th is the provisional date, subject to exams going ahead as planned
The new logo
- Many designs have been brought forward so far but no decision made
- Public vote - send out e-mails, do a poll etc before the end of term
- Sort the logo then get a batch ordered.
- Get a show of interest before ordering.
- Price will be whatever they cost through the SU
Ideas for/status of the website
- Advertise Milliways more prominantly
- Summer project (finished before Freshers' Fayre)
- Sort out the backend (Important)
- Make it pretty (Still important but can be done independantly of backend)
- Deadlines/responsibilities need deciding on - down to Frosty, decisions by end of term
- Library - make text searchable? Link to Amazon API?
Changes to the room
- The sink - fix/remove - Probably fix and get a replacement washer
- Photos of socials put up on the walls, make them less stark
- Photo board/montage of socials/events/members
- Quotes/Wisdom board
- Chairs - get a quote from SU for approx 9 non-broken/old office chairs
- TFT - look into getting recycled ones via seymansey
- Work on door/exterior image - perhaps stencil, paint the door a different colour. Shane on second floor of union can be asked about sign companies
- Cupboard - Books move to shelves? Probably better to put up a sign informing people how to get books out.
- Add more photos of socials
- change content regularly and often - once per week
- Screenshots of games on the games server
- Put comics up like User Friendly, Ctrl+Alt+Del etc
Changes to the SUCS machines
- FC5 is installed and running
- Gigabit ethernet installed on most of the machines
- Some changes to new member creation should be made, like making default homepage the SUCS wiki etc
The future of the new games server
- The server needs publicising via leaflets/posters
- Weekly games sessions should be organised for the start of Autumn term
- Competitions could be organised occasionally with prizes.
- Cross promotion with the LAN society would be good.
- New games requests should be answered within a week. They need sufficient interest to be valid.
- Authentication methods need to be looked into. Could use SSH? BBS users could use Platinum as proxy. Or we could just password the servers and mail people weekly with the new pasword.
- Limited public access for a week at a time now and then might stimulate user interest.
- Leaflet drop in halls and village about the server (and SUCS in general)
- Send similar info in e-mails to uni e-mail?
Silver II - Current status and plans for future
- Gig stick of RAM needed to get it working. Seems quite stable so far.
- Transition needs planning in detail. Plans will be in place by the end of term.
- Members need to be told about PHP4->PHP5 and other changes caused by the change over
Last year's exec - What they started and we continued.
- Games server
- Socials/Parties - these have been very successful
- Constitution change still to be written up - Life member rules. Exec don't automatically become life members.
The webcam - invasion of privacy?
- Some members feel threatened by the webcam.
- Monitor who's watching and when? Log IP addresses?
- Requesting real CCTV from uni is a possibility that needs exploring.
- Solutions: Obscure the image? Reduce capture intervals to 5 mins?
- Advertise society more with posters/leaflets, especially at start of year - only room with 24 hour access/games server etc
- Life membership - ex members could pay per year for honorary membership. Alumni accounts via PayPal? (Probably conflicts with SU regs)
- We need to be stricter with non payment by cutting off service until payment is received.
- Leaflets to be directed at societies with info on our services